The Wild Earl Grey Cupcakes
The Tea Collective
This delicious recipe is an absolute crowd wower!
It’s worth the extra effort to extract the exquisite Wild Earl Grey flavours and finish off with any edible flower or foliage that are everywhere in every season
2 cups of cake flour (also called soft flour)
1 tsp baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
3 tsp of loose leaf Wild Earl Grey
2 tsp of lemon zest
¼ tsp of sea salt
1 cup buttermilk (at room temperature)
2 tsp of vanilla extract
2 egg whites (at room temperature)
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ of honey
¾ fresh vegetable oil
½ cup sugar
½ cup fresh water
I tsp of Wild Earl Grey loose leaf tea
1½ tsp very finely grated lemon zest
½ fresh water
½ of thickened cream
1½ cups of REAL salted butter
5 cups of sifted icing sugar
½ tsp lemon extract (optional)
Earl Grey Simple Syrup
Lemon Buttercream Icing
Preheat oven to 180°C and line 2 cupcake trays with cupcake liners. Heat buttermilk in saucepan and when it starts to steam add tea and very gently simmer for 5 minutes never letting the milk boil. Strain tea or remove bags and let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium sized bowl combine cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, tea leaves, lemon zest and salt.
- Add the vanilla to the buttermilk and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, whip egg whites to firm peaks.
- Whipping, slowly add the granulated sugar one tablespoon at time until a meringue starts to form.
- Continue to whip the meringue while pouring in the honey.
- Next stream in the oil.
Slowly add in the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Don't over work the mixture at this point. Just mix until the flour is mostly combined.
Divide the mixture evenly into cupcakes tin and bake for 17-22 minutes. Test cupcakes with a toothpick.
- Let cupcakes cool completely.
Our tea is uniquely blended using only the freshest ingredients.